Editorial Process and Integrity
At www.hala-hi.org, it’s our mission to provide you with the most accurate, current and reliable health information online, customized for Africans. We constantly strive to this site your home for practical healthy-living information to improve your daily lifestyle.
The purpose of this editorial policy is to help you easily understand the details of our content policies and processes.
As clearly stated in our terms and conditions of use, the contents of the pages on this Site such as text, graphics, images and all data (collectively, “information”) is for your general information and use only. We do not provide any medical advice, and the Information should not be so construed or used. Using, accessing and/or browsing the Site and/or providing personal or medical information to any Author does not create a physician-patient relationship between you and the Author. Nothing contained in HALA Online is intended to create a physician-patient relationship, to replace the services of a licensed, trained physician or health professional or to be a substitute for the medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of your physician or trained health professional licensed in your state. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Site or on any site! If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or an emergency contact immediately.
Also, be aware that this Site may contain health- or medical-related materials that are sexually explicit. If you find these materials offensive, you may not want to use our Site. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through HALA meets your specific requirements.
Editorial Policy on Choosing & Creating Original Content
We are committed to providing general information on a wide variety of health topics, and rather than filtering certain types of information that may or may not be applicable to any one individual’s personal health, we rely on you, our reader, to choose the information that is most appropriate for you.
Because this is a central tool for fulfilling our mission as an NGO, HALA creates original content based on these criteria:
- African Health Priorities – We deliberately focus on topical health issues that constitute a major disease burden to Africans, especially because accurate health information is indispensible to tackle or prevent them, and save lives from top killer diseases such as Infection-based diseases like Malaria, HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis; and Chronic diseases that now increasingly constitutes Africa’s healthcare burden such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Mental illnesses; including other crucial issues affecting access and our entire healthcare system such as Health Insurance and Health policies.
- Subject Relevance – We make efforts to address vital issues within the African context that could affect how you manage your own health and that of your family’s. Topics include popular myths; coverage of breaking health news; drug and product launches; recalls, and alerts; health advisories; and expert commentary on managing diseases and conditions and staying healthy.
- Clinical Significance – This refers to latest medical findings published in peer-reviewed medical journals, be it a National, African or International journal, such as The African Journal of Diabetes Medicine, African Journals Online, The Journal of the American Medical Association, The New England Journal of Medicine, The Lancet and many others.
- Trends – These cater to timely information for seasonal interests such as “Harmattan Period”, “Raining Season”, “Cold and Flu”;”Public health awareness such as “World Malaria Day”, ” Breast Cancer Awareness Month;” and emerging health trends, such as the latest findings in nutrition, fitness, disease prevention, healthy living, alternative approaches, and much more.
Based on the aforementioned selection criteria, each completed article to be published is reviewed (where not directly written by) a Health/Medical Editor for accuracy, appropriateness of medical language, and proper characterization of the findings. The article is subsequently reviewed by an Editorial Editor who edits it for style, flow, punctuation, imagery and readability. Finally, the article goes from editing to publishing, where it is converted to HTML and published to the site.
Editorial Policy on Key Drivers for Content Selection
For express clarity on the purpose and functions of the various activities we carry out on this Site, we hope to clearly state the following:
- This Site does not run as an ‘official’ medical journal.
- Although most articles are written by medical professionals, the information provided here are not peer-reviewed.
- The primary goal of this Site is to carry out the following:
- Create a fun, easy to understand collection of practical healthy-living tools,
- Deliberately spur interest among many Africans to be more desirous of simple self-help tools that can improve daily habits/lifestyle,
- Provide a solution for Africans seeking reliable health information,
- To reduce avoidable morbidities and mortalities caused by health ignorance,
- And ultimately, inspire a new paradigm shift from just curative medicine, to preventive medicine and healthy-living among everyday Africans.
Editorial Policy on Content Writers & Editors
At all times, our priority objective is to be a credible, authoritative source for health loving Africans, by ensuring that we always provide accurate, timely, targeted and reliable health information online.
As key to maintaining our Editorial Integrity, the core decision-makers of HALA Editorial Team who ultimately determine what we publish, are strictly Licensed Health Professionals who serve on the editorial board purely on a Voluntary Basis. For original content written by our paid staff, their author descriptions clearly designate them as staff and these editorial policies are also binding on them. All HALA writers, whether paid or volunteers, share a dedication to ethical behavior and the highest professional standards irrespective of the topic, news, event or health issue under discussion, therefore core content created by HALA is free from influence by sponsors, partners, or other sources.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST: Anyone who serves on HALA’s Editorial Team must fully disclose any financial or other interests that he or she may have in any drug, biotech, medical device, or other company perceived to have influence in the healthcare industry. Such disclosure must be made to the Editor-in-Chief at the time of commencing work with HALA or at the time that the financial or other interest develops. The Editor-in-Chief will determine whether the interest presents a conflict and, if so, what must be done to eliminate it, and where necessary, the Board of Directors may step in.
HALA upholds traditional journalistic principles of excellence in reporting original news for the Internet and in reviewing and corroborating information from other sources. We endeavor to give context to news about research and clearly tell the readers what it means in today’s world. We maintain core values of objectivity and independent reporting; and also see to it that appropriate distinction is made between news, features, reference, and other information, so that individuals can readily distinguish independent editorial information from paid, promotional information.
Editorial Policy on Funded Content: Advertisement, Sponsorships & Collaborated Content
This site may publish special sections on certain health and lifestyle topics. Advertisers may fund areas that contain independent, original editorial content that we created or were selected just for a time period.
HALA works with Government agencies and other organizations or associations whose primary mission is to educate the public on health topics or issues; thus, the specific topic area’s content will be joined written/edited by both parties and will be clearly highlighted with a descriptive text at the top of the page and labelled as a “Collaboration” or “Educational Collaboration” with the participating organization.
Other content on this site may be provided solely by or on behalf of an advertiser. To help indicate an advertiser’s involvement, such sections will typically be clearly identified with labels such as “Sponsored by”, “Brought to You by”, “Made Possible by”, “Funded by” or “Support Provided by” the advertiser/sponsor. While we believe that valuable content is available from HALA sponsors and advertisers, this content has not been reviewed by HALA’s Editorial Staff and is NOT subject to this Editorial Policy; but we will always ensure that such content must be clearly labelled. See our Ad Policy.
NOTE: HALA has not evaluated the products and services advertised on this site and we do not endorse any specific product, service or treatment. The fact that certain products and services are advertised on our site is not an endorsement of those products and services.
Editorial Policy on Guest Writers & Licensed Content
When HALA licenses health and wellness content from external sources or third-parties for publication on our site, the Editor-in-Chief from our Editorial Team will review the third-party’s editorial policies and procedures for consistency with HALA’s Editorial Policies, including without limitation the conflicts of interest policy. While the HALA’s Editorial Staff may not review each page of the third-party licensed content, the Editorial Staff does review a representative sample of the content to ensure that the third-party implements the editorial policy and procedures reviewed by HALA and that the content appears to be accurate, timely and relevant. Licensed content will also be clearly marked as such with due credit to the original source or information provider where applicable.
Similarly, HALA will typically publish content from other external sources and persons such as key stakeholders in the health and wellness industry to share information and perspectives based on their experience as we believe could be valuable tools for our readers. These types of content will also be clearly labelled as such with clear descriptive introductory notes, and such content or information will be their own views and do not represent the viewpoint of HALA.
Last Updated: 02/12/2013