Hello, I am Prof. Basden J. Onwubere and I will be available from 2.30 – 4.30pm to answer your questions regarding Hypertension (High Blood Pressure). Good day.
Monday, 26th November, 2012.
USE THE COMMENT BOX BELOW TO ASK YOUR QUESTIONS NOW (or via SMS to 08181733447)
QUESTION: How does someone with high blood pressure manage it? (Via SMS )
ANSWER: The management depends on the person seeing the doctor; the doctor will then decide on the management based on the following:
- The level of blood pressure that is, what the blood pressure reads
- The result of the necessary investigations that needs to be done for somebody with hypertension.
- The management also depends on other factors like: the age of the person, the sex, the occupation and the social status.
QUESTION: How does one know and what are the initial symptoms indicating that someone has High BP? (Via SMS)
Most people that have High BP do not have symptoms and this is why it is called a “Silent killer”. A few people will have the following:
- Palpitation (conscious awareness of heart beat)
- Ringing sound in the ear or, in extreme cases there may have symptoms of the complications.
People are usually advice to have regular medical checks or check-up, not necessarily when they have symptoms.
QUESTION: Is there a difference between the usual high BP and high BP in a pregnant woman?
ANSWER: There is a difference because pregnancy naturally affects the blood pressure normally even normal people, so one needs to be careful in making diagnosis of hypertension in a pregnant woman. It is also important to make sure the blood pressure is well controlled during pregnancy to avoid possible the deleterious effects on the unborn baby or fetus. If not well controlled the woman could have complications like developing severe legs swelling, developing fits or convulsion, and a life could be loss if care is not taken.